Sunday, April 13, 2014

Getting ready for the new camping season

The kids have been on spring break.  Our first trip is only a few weeks away.  Once school starts back up tomorrow, we'll be busy, busy, busy.  My opportunities to get ready for the camping season will be minimal.  I took advantage of the lack of schedule and beautiful weather to start my end of the camping prep.

I started by doing my scrub down.  I get a rag and my bucket of vinegar and water, and I scrub and scrub. Believe me, I'm not exactly the poster child for green living, but I like that the vinegar and water at least reduces some of the chemicals in our lives.  And bleach does serve a purpose (looking at you, Toilet).  Anyway, I sweep the floors and then scrub them.  I bring the vacuum from the house out to the camper and I vacuum all the upholstery and the nooks and crannies.  The camper will not be this clean all at once again until next spring.

5 Months Ago Me made it easy on Today Me
Husband does his thing with getting the camper ready.  He deals with the de-winterizing, and the roof cleaning and sealing, and the more mechanical-y stuff.  This system works for us.

In the fall, I was smart.  I made a pen and paper list of every item I took out of the camper for the winter.  The list stayed on the camper counter all winter long (let's face it, I'd put it some place genius for safe-keeping and then forget that genius location 5 months later).  My attempts at remembering are now easy.  My shopping list is practically ready to go, I know exactly what we need.

Now, I just need to go shopping for our pantry staples and things that needed replacing.  This is a bigger trip and will happen when the kids are back in school now that spring break is ending.

Is it camping season yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment