Saturday, April 26, 2014

Camping season is canning season

The delights of the camping season means that our garden and the farmer's market are full of bounty.  As I was packing some more food into the camper this afternoon, I inevitably grabbed a fair number of home canned goods.  Many of our favorites are perfect for the camping trip.  I thought I'd share some of my recipes here.

The beauty of home canned goods is that they are shelf stable until they're opened, you just want to keep them in a cooler location for storage.  Our basement is where most my hard work is stored.  When I take home canned goods on camping trips, we don't typically get too hot that I'm concerned about the food spoiling.  That's the beauty of the air conditioner on the camper.  Once a jar is opened, it stays in the fridge until it's empty.

I will add a number of recipes, each as their own post, and include a list for easier searching.

  • Bread & Butter Pickles
  • Dill pickles
  • Peaches
  • Salsa
  • Strawberry Jam
  • Zucchini Relish

No comments:

Post a Comment