Monday, June 2, 2014

Applesauce

Applesauce is another easy side dish or healthy snack.  So far, I've only done homemade freezer applesauce.  This year, I'd like to expand it to a shelf-stable applesauce.

First, the recipe I've used for a couple of years.  It is from http://thatscountryliving.com.

What you need:
  • 18 cups of apples (one variety or mix and match), cored, peeled, and sliced
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
What to do:
  • Turn slow cooker on low.  Simmer apples on low for about 5 hours, stirring every so often.
  • Apples will break down into mush.  Turn slow cooker off and let apples cool for an hour or so (until it's cool enough to handle).
  • You have several options when it comes to preparing your applesauce, which depends on your consistency preference.  If you like chunkier applesauce, might just use a potato masher.  If you like it with a smoother texture, you can run it through a food mill or other processor.  I use my immersion blender and leave some chunks.
  • Your applesauce is now ready for freezing/canning!
When freezer canning, I like to use Ball Freezer containers.  What size I use depends on how many people I'll plan to feed with the container.  The smaller containers are great for a couple of school lunches.  The bigger containers are great for a side dish at the dinner table (or picnic table).

Like I said, I want to make shelf stable applesauce this year.  Looking the applesauce recipe in my canning bible, it said to pour sauce into hot jars, pint or quart.  Then adjust the 2 piece cap and process pints and quarts for 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

No comments:

Post a Comment