Monday, January 5, 2015

Taco Chili

It's a cold and blustery January day in Michigan.  We had a wind chill advisory for most of the day, making it feel -14 degrees.  Husband suggested that maybe soup or chili would be great for dinner tonight.

Normally, I make Taco Chili in the crockpot.  My work schedule today had me putting it on the stove top and simmering all the ingredients for an hour (it's simmering as I type, I hope it turns out as flavorful as it normally does).  I have a strong love for my crock pot and it's definitely been part of the camping meal plans.  Ok, all 3 of my crock pots have made the trip (hey, sometimes you need varying sizes).


Taco Chili


1 lb ground beef
1 1.2-oz package taco seasoning mix
2 15-oz cans chunky Mexican-style tomatoes
1 15-oz. can red kidney beans
1 15-oz. can whole kernel corn

  1. In a large skillet cook ground beef until brown.  Drain fat.
  2. In a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker, combine the cooked ground beef, taco seasoning mix, undrained tomatoes, undrained beans, and undrained corn.  Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4-6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-3 hours.
Top as desired with corn chips, sour cream, sliced green onions, and cheese.

Note: I make my own taco seasoning usually.  I'll post the recipe that I started using, but now I just stare at the spices on hand and add to my taco meat without measuring.  It cuts out the sodium and creates better flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment