Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Taco Seasoning

Monday was Taco night this week.  I shared my recipe for Taco Chili last week and said that I'd share my personal recipe for taco seasoning that doesn't use a packet or orangish-redish powder, leaving the meat an orangish-redish color.  Using my own seasonings also cuts out sodium and makes the meat much more flavorful.

Last summer, I decided to try growing some of my own spices and dehydrating them.  You can see in the picture that I used my own dried oregano and basil.  What a flavor punch compared to your store bought stuff!


Here it is, the official recipe, not just what I had on hand last night:

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder or minced onion flakes
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tps dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
What to do:

Brown 1 lbs of ground beef.  Drain fat.  Mix seasonings into pan and continue to cook on low for 5 minutes.

Note: I like to add a little bit of Zesty Salsa to my tacos when I assemble them.

No comments:

Post a Comment