Monday, July 14, 2014

Zucchini Bread

Zucchini is just starting to come in our garden.  Zucchini bread is a favorite, especially for camping breakfasts.  I made my first 2 loaves of the season today.  The loaves that won't get eaten right away get wrapped up and put into the deep freezer for enjoyment all year long.  One year, both kids wanted to take zucchini bread for their classroom birthday treats and I was all over it because all I had to do was thaw and cut.

This is an easy recipe,  from the red and white gingham Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (I firmly believe this is a must have for every kitchen).

Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

  • In a mixing bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg.  In another mixing bowl combine sugar, shredded zucchini, cooking oil, egg, and lemon peel; mix well.  Add flour mixture; stir until just combined.  Stir in chopped walnuts.
  • Pour batter into a greased 8x4x2 loaf pan.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
  • Remove bread from the pan; cool thoroughly on a wire rack.  Wrap and store overnight before slicing.  Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
Ok, so those are the official instructions.  I get out my handy-dandy Kitchen Aid mixer.  I dump in the zucchini first.  Then, I add the oil and egg.  I start the mixer on low.  I slowly add the sugar until mixed.  Then I add the nutmeg, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.  I add the flour slowly, making sure it mixes in well.  I skip the lemon peel and walnuts.  I often double or triple the recipe because of how much zucchini we get in our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment