Sunday, September 14, 2014

N. Higgins Lake State Park

A canceled trip.  Not the first time we've had to scrap a trip because of illness.  I do hope it is the last time, but I'm also realistic.  I'm sure we'll have others.

We sad campers had to make due.  The trip was planned with my parents.  They still went to N. Higgins Lake State Park for the weekend.  I took the kids up for the day on Saturday while Husband stayed home and rested while watching bad TV on the couch.

When we booked our campsites, I purposefully picked campsites right by the playground, hopeful that the kids could just run over and play while the adults stayed at the campsite.  We had sites 66 & 64, and that certainly would have happened if we'd spent the weekend.  But the playground was nothing to write home about (but apparently worthy of writing about in a blog?).  It was an old swing set and an old, tall slide.  And that's it.

We walked down to the beach and the kids enjoyed searching for snail shells & clam/muscle shells.  Grandpa tried to teach Oldest Kid how to skip rocks on the lake.

Right across the street from the state park is the Civilian Conservation Corp Museum.  It was every bit as exciting as it sounds.  Worthy of the free price tag.  It was interesting, I learned new information.  Kids enjoyed spending time with Grandma & Grandpa, which was really the most important thing to me.

All things considered, I think we made best out of the situation.  Oldest Kid has asked that we go back and experience North Higgins Lake State Park on a real camping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment